a golden harvest


Not so many months ago, I sowed some butternut squash seeds, variety Hunter, in small pots on the windowsill. When the weather warmed up I planted them out onto the allotment and now it is time to harvest.

The magic of  growth from seed to fruit never fails to amaze!

And the lovely sunny weather we had this summer has resulted in a bumper crop.


Four plants have produced about 25 golden squash of varying sizes.
Fortunately, they store well in our cool garage.




Squash of any sort are very versatile, making delicious soups, hearty roasted vegetable bakes and gratins.

Then of course, they can be used  in cakes and desserts, think muffins and the all American pumpkin pie.

So a recipe for cinnamon, squash and apple mousse in the latest Waitrose Kitchen magazine is not so unusual as it first sounds.

Following the recipe,
 I roasted 360g of squash and 200g eating apples cut into 2.5 cm pieces and dotted with 3tbsp coconut oil in a hot oven (200 C) for about 30 minutes,
 then blitzed them with 1tsp cinnamon and about 300ml coconut water* to make a thick puree.
At this point, I deviated from the recipe and added a couple of tablespoons of honey to the puree which otherwise reminded me too much of soup.
The puree was then layered with plain yoghurt and topped with toasted walnuts.



It looked very pretty and autumnal but tasted, well ......unusual!
Make of that what you will, but I don't think I shall be adding it to my favourites list.
Although, mr digandweed covered it with copious amounts of extra honey and wolfed it down all the same!

*coconut water, not to be confused with coconut milk, is the clear liquid found inside whole coconuts and is reputed to have many health benefits including high levels of potassium.

Comments

  1. Every time I visit your blog I am always struck by the beauty of your pictures not to mention your subject matter! I am a huge fan of pumpkin and squash and all the recipes which embrace them. My favourite of all is what we in France call the 'potimarron'. It has a nutty taste and is delicious with Gruyère of other mountain cheeses. I'm afraid I don't know its name in English.

    Warmest wishes,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so envious of your squash stash. We add them to most dishes here though haven't yet tried baking with them. I feel a batch of spiced cupcakes coming on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love butternut squash, especially in soup! I wonder if I could grow a plant or two in a very large flower pot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do take up rather a lot of room when growing. Next year I am wondering whether to try growing them up a sturdy support which might also work if you were growing one in a pot.

      Delete
  4. That's a really impressive crop. I grew some ukichi kuri this year, but there were only six of them from I think two or three plants. I'm going to try butternuts next year, I've not grown them before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I've not heard of ukichi kuri. I will look that one up. I've found that once the butternut squash get going it's hard to stop them!

      Delete
  5. I've never had any luck growing butternut squash but yours look magnificent. Not sure I like the sound of the pud though. I never liked pumpkin pie when we lived in the States.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, I'm slightly envious. I'd love to grow those although I'm the only one around here who'll eat them. I think they look beautiful growing in the garden/allotment and have always dreamed of the blue ('Crown Prince'?) ones dotted amongst the imaginary plot...
    I admire your adventurousness too in giving the dessert a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your honesty. It looks so pretty in the photograph but can't help but think soup would have been so much nicer to eat.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment