chickpeas


We've had our allotment for just over 4 years now; I'm gradually getting the hang of things and have grown a variety of different vegetables and fruit.
One thing I have never grown is chickpeas.
But I know a man who has!

If you visit The Circus Gardener's Kitchen you will find Steve who cooks delicious vegetarian and vegan food.
 He has grown chickpeas on his allotment.


I know chickpeas as the somewhat wrinkled, beige pulses found in packets or tins in the supermarket and I was surprised to find that they can be grown in this country.
But Steve has successfully done just that.
And he used the chickpeas in one of his recipes - chickpea cakes with curry oil.
 You can find the recipe on Steve's blog here.

I have tried a number of Steve's recipes, all of them really delicious. 
The chickpea cakes were no exception.


I decided to serve them in pitta bread with salad leaves, yoghurt dressing and mango chutney.


Delicious!




If you are interested in vegetarian food and also want to read some thought provoking comments on the state of the food industry, then do visit The Circus Gardener.

Happy weekend everyone and p.s. (whispers) there may be a heatwave next week!



Comments

  1. Ooh, another delicious recipe to try (and thanks for the blog link, too). I had no idea chickpeas could be grown here. I love them and they often feature on the menu here (a current favourite is in a Buddha bowl with roasted sweet potatoes, broccoli and kale).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the sound of them with sweet potato, broccoli and kale :)

      Delete
  2. They look delicious, and my ignorance has been highlighted. Despite loving chickpeas I had not given a thought as to where they came from. Doh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, they look absolutely delicious, I shall go and have a look at the blog. I heard the heatwave rumours too. Watering cans at the ready. Have a good weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this kind of food. Chickpeas sound so exotic but I suppose they are really just peas and no one does peas better than the British.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ann, I am honoured that you should have chosen to cook one of my recipes, and I really love the way you have served them, with the chutney and yoghurt dressing, and as always your cooking is beautifully photographed. Thank you, too, for your kind comments about my blog.

    Steve x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the tip - I do love vegetarian food and we have a lot of chickpeas in the cupboard at all times!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  7. So do we! Thanks for the recipe link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have the water butt full and watering cans ready, time will tell a heatwave on the East coast is a rarity.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fabulous sounding recipe from you... Thank you! It wouldn't have even occurred to me that you could grow chickpeas here.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment