Good afternoon ! Is it time for cake?


Good afternoon. It's beautiful and sunny here in the Fens today.
I thought you might like a photo of some cheerful daffodils  - surely a sign that spring is on its way.
And while you are here would you like a piece of cake too ?


I have been making cake ... or brownies to be precise.
I have both lovely daughters to thank for bringing this recipe to my attention.
They both have the Deliciously Ella books and have been trying recipes and enthusiastically reporting back to me.
Deliciously Ella follows a vegan diet, eating only natural non processed foods. Not that we, at fenland lottie, are about to totally give up meat or dairy or gluten but I am more and more convinced that our diet has a profound effect on our well being and I love experimenting with different recipes.


When mr digandweed and I visited younger daughter in Nottingham last weekend ( on the occasion of my birthday) she had made some sweet potato brownies and very delicious they were too.
So back home, I decided to make some also. The recipe is very straightforward, though a food processor is more or less essential.


It's always nice to have a piece of cake as an afternoon treat and this is a cake you can eat with impunity, being full of good things.
Sweet potatoes contain a formidable range of nutrients essential to our well being and raw cacao also has many health benefits.


These brownies are not over sweet and have a fudge like consistency and I particularly liked them with some berries on the side.



Happy weekend 



annjenny x

Comments

  1. They look and sound delicious. I'm a big fan of cake with vegetables in. One of your five-a-day! I have Red Velvet and Chocolate Heartache by Harry Eastwood which is a cake book with vegetables in every recipe. Well, it's a library book actually but it lives at my house now. The cherry cake is divine. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will have to nip down to the library and check that recipe out. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete
  2. Mmmm! I like the sound of these - chocolate + dairy-free. Yesss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Something you can eat :) You could give them a try. xx

      Delete
  3. Belated birthday greetings! Hope it was a good one. With cake, obvs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was a good time ...cake included!

      Delete
  4. They sound good. I have been experimenting with gluten free brownies today but I'm not convinced... More experimentation required I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall be interested to hear the results of your experimentation.These cakes lack the crisp top, gooey centre associated with a traditional brownie. They are more of a fudge cake. Always fun to experiment though!

      Delete
  5. Firstly, the marmalade in your previous post looks lovely. Secondly, daffodils in a simple glass vase are enough to brighten up any table during these still-short February days.
    As for the brownies, fudgy consistency sounds good. I don't eat gluten (and when I can't help myself, I end up suffering for it). Not sure whether I could give up meat or dairy entirely either but I certainly don't eat much of them.
    I've found that gluten-free baking works best with moist or dense things as the lack of gluten in the flour makes things quite dry and brittle. Brownies and pancakes work. And as for completely flourless, apple cake made with ground almonds is a favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apple cake with ground almonds sounds lovely. I imagine the apples make for a nice moist cake.

      Delete
  6. It is ALWAYS time for cake and that one looks particularly more-ish too! A perfect afternoon pick-me-up, Karen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment