pancakes

Each year, when Pancake Day approaches, I ponder the same question : why don't I make pancakes more often!
They are quick, simple and very versatile.

Shrove Tuesday, as it is also known, always precedes Ash Wednesday which marks the beginning of Lent in the Christian calendar. Traditionally, pancakes were a good way of using up eggs, milk and flour before the time of fasting during Lent.
Ironically, nowadays, retail marketing sees shops stock up with extra ingredients in an attempt to persuade the consumer to buy more in preparation for the annual pancake festival!


On the day itself, I don't think you can beat feather light pancakes eaten with a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of sugar - totally delicious!
 But this year, I also decided to make a Dutch Baby; a large, puffed pancake which is thought to have originated in the USA.
Think sweet Yorkshire pudding.


Using the same batter as a traditional pancake, a Dutch baby is cooked in the oven rather than in a pan on the stove.


Rather like a souffle, the pancake rose up impressively in the oven, but then sank somewhat when removed, so make sure everyone is ready to tuck in straight away.
I served mine with a mixture of berries and a dusting of icing sugar.


If you would like to try making a Dutch Baby, I found this link very useful.

Happy Pancake Day!


annjenny
x



Comments

  1. I thought I might try a Dutch Baby this year after reading a post in Smitten Kitchen. Yours looks very enticing, but did you enjoy it? You don't say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Colleen - sorry for that oversight! I did like the flavour very much. The vanilla and lemon zest in the linked recipe was a lovely combination. The texture - sort of sweet Yorkshire pud was unusual and took more getting used to but I think I would make it again.I'd be interested to know what you think if you try one.

      Delete
  2. My son in law is a big fan of pancakes, I thought I might give this try with some fruit for breakfast on his next visit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment