An easy lunch ...

The Christmas goodies have all been eaten and we are craving simple, easy to prepare food here at fenland lottie.

This variation of shakshuka was just perfect for lunch the other day.



Shakshuka is a middle eastern dish of eggs lightly cooked in a spiced tomato and pepper sauce.
It's an easy and adaptable recipe. The sort of recipe to use up oddments from the fridge.
This was my version with lightly fried mushrooms instead of red peppers.


To softened onions and garlic, add a tin of chopped tomatoes and a teaspoon of smoked paprika (the mild, not really hot version). Simmer until slightly reduced, then add the lightly sauted mushrooms. 
Make an indentation in the sauce and carefully drop in an egg.
At this point, I put the dish into the oven until the egg was cooked.
However, this resulted in a yolk that was slightly overcooked.
I think a better method would be to cover the pan and continue cooking on the hob until the white is set and the yolk creamy.


Today has been a bright, sunny and cold day, so I seized the opportunity to go down to the allotment to check it over.
The sunny weather inspired me and within a few minutes I had seized a spade and dug up the raspberry canes!
I had been contemplating removing them for a while. They had turned into a thicket which was difficult to tame and were spreading into other parts of the plot.
So the deed is done!
 I may use part of the space to grow dahlias!



Annie
x



Comments

  1. My goodness such a beautiful looking dish. It is my intention to include it the menu for next week, looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, do give it a try. I think you will like it :)

      Delete
  2. Mmm, it looks absolutely delicious. Well done on the raspberry removal, it's great when gardening happens like that. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spur of the moment is often the way to go!

      Delete
  3. Hurrah for dahlias.

    I dug up our raspberries this autumn. but only because they never produced much. I fear that it is not the last we will see of them though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! Dahlias are are having a bit of a renaissance.

      Delete
  4. looks delicious! So pleased I have finally made it over to your blog from instagram!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment