a very english institution.. the local garden show



Our small market town held its garden and allotment show last Sunday.
The local hall was filled with tables laden with carefully nurtured vegetables and fruit of all shapes and sizes and in the junior class an enormous pumpkin almost the same size as its small owner!
There were homemade cakes and preserves too, flower arrangements and even a topiary squirrel!




I plucked up courage and entered some of my preserves:





...and was delighted on returning to the hall a couple of hours later to find that I had won first prize and overall best in class for my blackcurrant jelly!!
And on top of that mr digandweed and I came third in the best kept allotment competition.





It was a lovely afternoon; great fun, a good sense of community and some good-natured competition ...oh and the giant pumpkin and its small owner won a prize too!



Comments

  1. Congratulations, such a fun thing to take part in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done! I do love a rosette - I hope you find somewhere nice and prominent to display it, and may it be the first of many :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done! It was our village horticultural show yesterday too and I was delighted to get second place for my plum jam.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations !
    Looking at the vegetable entries , I suddenly fancy some stuffed marrow .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant achievement, especially the third place in best kept allotment - I know how much hard work that will have needed. Well done you! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment