October



October is such a beautiful month; a month of golden hues, of cocoa-coloured nuts and conkers, russet tinged apples and pears.
This time a year ago, dear daughter had just had her first round of chemotherapy and so it was fitting that, on Friday evening, a year on, we both took part in Maggie's culture crawl, a night-time sponsored walk around the city of Nottingham to raise money for this wonderful charity.

The photo below is of the iconic library building on the Nottingham University Jubilee campus and was just one of the places we visited.


We had a wonderful fun filled evening, walking through parts of the city not usually accessible at night, in the company of lots of other lovely people and entertained along the way by musicians and actors explaining the history of various buildings - and not to mention sustained by some delicious food!


Meanwhile, back on the lottie, I have harvested the Butternut squash.



I grew several plants from seeds that I saved from last year.
I have always found the squash to be a reliable crop, despite our sometimes unpredictable summers... and also extremely versatile in the kitchen.
Amongst other things, squash make delicious soups.







Recipe adapted from Roasted Butternut Squash Soup: New Covent Garden Book of Soups.

Here's to a cosy week ahead full of autumnal colours.

annjenny
x



Comments

  1. Hmmm that soup looks and sounds delicious - might have to make that this week now! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would like it 😊 I could have given you a butternut squash at the weekend! xx

      Delete
  2. I have never made it with coconut milk before, I will certainly be giving that one a try. How time has flown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coconut milk gives it a lovely creamy taste, I find.

      Delete
  3. The soup sounds perfect for an autumnal lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never saved squash seed to sow because I grow several types and I thought they wouldn't come true because of cross pollination. This year I bought my plant and ended up with three gigantic fruits from two plants. Very odd. But I'll definitely be trying this variation of soup. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough, one of my plants produced just two enormous squash! The others were just of normal size. Must be something in the air!!

      Delete
  5. I seriously envy your butternuts, mine just haven't grown much in size this year. I grew F1's, so won't be able to collect seeds for next year. Last year, I grew a fantastic crop from seeds saved from a shop bought one, so maybe that's the way to go. So glad you enjoyed the walk, it sounds as though it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame. Oddly,here,the beetroot refused to grow this year - there's always next year though!

      Delete
  6. Good to hear the night walk went so well. I love October, too. For me, it always feels like it's the start of the best half of the year. I was wondering what to do with the butternut squash that's lingering in the fridge. Now I know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment