Karen's book....

I was thrilled, the other day, to receive a parcel in the post.
It was a parcel I had been expecting and inside was a book; a copy of Karen's (of Lavender and Lovage fame) new book which is published today.

I have followed Karen on Instagram and through her award winning blog for a number of years now, so when she offered preview copies of her soon-to-be published book, I jumped at the chance.
And here it is.....



Karen is an award winning food and travel writer.
She was born in South Africa, but has lived and travelled in many different places. Her book is a beautiful and very personal collection of her recipes, from her early childhood in rural Northumbria, where she helped her grandmother and mother in the kitchen and garden, to her time spent living in France and now in North Wales on the edge of Snowdonia.
So, as you would expect, her book is an eclectic mix of recipes old and new, all beautifully photographed by Karen herself and interspersed with photographs and memories of her travels.



There are lots of recipes I have earmarked to try, but I decided to start with Egg and Bacon Plate Pie, a recipe which reminded me of my own childhood and the sort of thing which the Famous Five might have taken on one of their adventures!


Karen says the recipe was one her grandmother used to make for teatime and I can recommend it; the pastry was rich and crumbly and the filling very tasty and it went very well with some red cabbage and beetroot salad which I had in the fridge.


So much more than just another cookery book, this is part memoir, part travelogue - all in all, a lovely book! Thank you Karen.


Speak soon.

Annie 
x





Comments

  1. It sounds like a wonderful book that might just make it onto my Christmas wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. I love those cookery books which turn out to be so much more than just a collection of recipes. I remember eating versions of those plate pies when I was a kid. My cafe owning cousin still makes one for his customers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment