Reasons to be cheerful.....


January is a bit of an in-between month.
The excitement of Christmas and New Year have faded, but spring still seems a long way off -
it's easy to feel a bit glum!

But here are a few reasons to be cheerful...






No1:
Spring bulbs on the kitchen windowsill.
This photo was taken a week or so ago and these hyacinths are now in full bloom and filling the kitchen with their beautiful perfume.
Hyacinths, especially ones grown in glass bulb vases always remind me of infant school (there's a term not used anymore!) nature tables - or is that just me?

A tour of our garden also revealed tiny green shoots of snowdrops, grape hyacinth and miniature daffodils.




No 2:
Citrus fruit.
January seems to be the month for delicious oranges of all shapes and sizes.
The shops are full of Seville oranges for marmalade, clementines, satsumas and the beautifully coloured blood oranges which make the most wonderful freshly squeezed juice.





No 3:
Cosy breakfasts and steaming cups of coffee.
This is my homemade sourdough bread which makes the most delicious toast.
Making sourdough is quite a lengthy process, but very easy when you know how and also very relaxing.
I've recently found a great website packed with information about sourdough should you be interested. The website is written by passionate sourdough maker, Elaine and can be found here.



So there you are - a few random things to cheer us through these dark days!

I hope you enjoyed them.

Speak soon.

Annie
x





Comments

  1. I certainly did. I smiled at the Nature table, it used to be one of my favourite things to do when teaching years ago. I love the idea of growing some hyacinth bulbs for gifts for next year, I bet it really would evoke memories of a bygone era.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love love love the scent of hyacinths. You've also reminded me that we tried to grow snowdrops in a bowl when I was in the juniors. I got to take the bowl home to keep an eye on things over the Christmas holiday. But it all came to naught. Not even a hint of a snowdrop. Ooh, take care with the sourdough toast. It is delicious but I spectacularly broke a tooth whilst chomping on a slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hyacinths have the most wonderful perfume!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos as ever. I make sourdough in my bread machine and although it takes a long time I hardly have to do anything, it's brilliant. I hope you have a lovely weekend. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ. I love everything about sourdough!

      Delete
  4. Hyacinths, one of my favourite scented flowers. I always used to try and keep them standing up as they flowered and became top-heavy but I've decided that their floppiness is part of their charm now. Your sourdough looks wonderful. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hyacinths do have a habit of flopping over it is true! As do Tulips - but as you say - it's all part of their charm!

      Delete
  5. I really must remember to use my hyacinth vases next year. That was such a childhood ritual. we used to drop a stick of charcoal in first to keep the water clear apparently. Also sourdough is up there on my list of things to get going on. It's all wooden spoon whittling and knitting here at the moment. The days aren't long enough for all the fascinating hobbies I see on blogs and Instagram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lucille, thank you for commenting. Wooden spoon whittling sounds interesting. I love wooden utensils.

      Delete

Post a Comment