Early Spring update.....


The postman delivered an eagerly awaited parcel the other week.
The small brown package from The Real Seed Company contained a selection of seeds which I hope to grow this coming season on the allotment:

Hokkaido Winter Squash- these did really well last year and so I'm growing them again.
Sanguina Beetroot - an old favourite.
Pink Passion Chard - how can you resist a vegetable with such a name?!
And a new-to-me summer squash Patisson Blanc Patty Pan.
Though the weather has been beautifully spring-like in recent days, I'm holding off planting the seeds for several weeks. 
We could still have snow!

But, the other day, I popped down to the allotment to check everything over and to dig up some more of the overwintering leeks.



I planted these leeks as little seedlings back in August, which maybe was a little late, as they are very small. Mr digandweed remarked on them saying they were 'hardly bigger than a spring onion' which is true, but I'm just calling them baby leeks!

I was going to make them into soup and then decided on something a different for a change and braised them in some homemade chicken stock with garlic and thyme and added some frozen peas towards the end.

They were delicious with some steamed salmon.


Hope you are enjoying some spring-like weather too.

Speak soon

Annie
x




Comments

  1. Thanks for the link to Real Seeds, a new one to me, and a delightful little site. I've become very complacent about trying new varieties, partly because we have no greenhouse to bring seeds on, but I'm definitely going to try a few of these. Let's see what happens weather wise!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Real Seeds site. I've used them for about 3 years now. They have an interesting range of seeds and a wealth of information on their site too. No greenhouse here either sadly, so the windowsills get filled up very quickly come April!

      Delete
  2. Winter vegetables are such a treat, those leeks look delicious. I'm going to have a good look at Real Seeds as well. And I shall blame you entirely for all the buying... CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe! It is a lovely website ...and so difficult to choose just a few varieties.

      Delete
  3. Your food photography is very good. I always want to dive into your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaw! Thank you Liz. Photographing food has become something of a passion!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the link to The Real Seed Company. Great to see a range of interesting & unusual varieties suitable for us amateur gardeners. I'm sure I'll be making some purchases. Delicious looking leek recipe, btw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good website isn't it! I look forward to hearing what you grow and comparing notes x

      Delete
  5. Those leeks look delicious, sounds like a tasty meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you -quick, easy and tasty. My sort of meal !

      Delete

Post a Comment