January 2020


It's nearly the end of January; a new decade and the weeks seem to be flying by!
There have been birthdays (mine!) but other than that, just the daily minutiae of life has kept me busy and filled the days.
Remember how when you were a child a year seemed like an eternity and now flashes by in the blink of an eye, well apparently there are scientific studies which explain this phenomena.
It's all to do with the number of new experiences we encounter; a child is making new and fresh memories each day, each week is significant. On the other hand, as we age the daily routines take on a familiarity and a week or month is less memorable, which means time seems to pass more quickly.
So there it is! It's those daily routines and habits,  reassuring and comfortable though they might be, which are to blame!


Anyway, science aside, the days are slowly getting longer, there are primroses and snowdrops in the garden and spring is on its way.
A week or two ago, I sent off an order to The Real Seed Company and received my little brown packet of seeds a few days later.
This year I am going to try a purple carrot Dragon Purple, a cutting celery grown for its leaves rather than the stems and celeriac Giant Prague. I grew celeriac a number of years ago from seedlings. The roots were a bit on the small size. I'm having another go!


And in the kitchen, simple soups have been the order of the day.
Homemade chicken stock with leeks, kale and sliced new potatoes.


How about you?
How is 2020 so far?

Speak soon

Annie
x



Comments

  1. Always heartening to see little signs that Spring is on its way. Coincidentally we bought some purple carrots today from our local greengrocer who said steaming them is the best way to retain their colour & flavour. Your soup looks tasty - I could almost smell it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting about the carrots. I will try steaming them - if and when they grow of course!

      Delete
  2. Your choice of seeds sounds great, I love celeriac and celery leaves. I am getting a couple of my raised beds replaced at the moment, ready for spring. I have all sorts of plans for things to grow and I'm really missing all of the space at the allotment. Still some space for things in the garden, but not nearly as much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've not tried celery leaves before so I'm looking forward to that. Hope all your plans come to fruition.

      Delete
  3. 2020 going like a flash here too! I also heard it explained in that when we are five, a year is a huge chink of time compared to what we have already lived I.e a fifth but when we are sixty something a year is just a small fraction of our time so is seems to pass so much quicker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've heard that theory too - the weeks certainly speed by at a reckless pace!

      Delete
  4. Love your potted primrose! Lots of soup making here, too. Leek and potato is a favourite, unlike the spinach and cauliflower one I concocted last week which went down the waste disposal.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment