Update...

Summer is in full swing and although July has been cool for the most part, it is ending ( in the Fens at least) with a mini heatwave.
The sweetcorn seeds which I planted out earlier in the year, are growing really well... and we are looking forward to our first ever sweetcorn harvest.
This photo was taken a few weeks ago and the cobs, with their silky  'ponytails' are now developing nicely. 




And it's that time of year too, when the fruit on the little plum tree starts to ripen.
Once again, there's a bumper crop! I've lost count of the number of pounds we have picked, but suffice to say that mr digandweed and I have gathered a basketful, like the one below, every other day for the past week.


We've been eating them, cooking them, freezing them and making jam ....and giving bagfuls away to anyone who will take them!
Our allotment neighbour on one side helped out by taking several pounds to make into wine!




And I made a plum clafoutis.


This dessert, a speciality of the Limousin area of France, is usually made with cherries.
It's a batter mixture, not unlike a sweet Yorkshire pudding, baked with the addition of fruit.
I added a little cinnamon to mine and served it with a blob of cream.
Quick and easy, if you want to give it a go, there are lots of recipes on the internet, such as the one by Raymond Blanc on the BBC food website.

Hoping all is well.
Speak soon
Annie
x

Comments

  1. Wonderful plums, I'm very envious, I'd love a plum tree. In fact I did plant one at the allotment, I must pop back and see how it's doing. It looks like being a bumper pear year here, as well as a bumper cherry year. All that dry spring weather was good for the pollinators I think. The sweetcorn looks brilliant, but beware badgers, they always used to completely decimate mine, usually the day before I was about to pick it! They'd trample the whole lot and eat every cob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Badgers! Oh no! What a shame. We’ve got lots of greedy pigeons on the allotment but hopefully no badgers.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures (as always). Your plum clafoutis looks so delicious. I've never eaten one but I've found a vegan recipe (it uses silken tofu) which I'm going to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I’ve not cooked much with tofu. It sounds interesting. I hope you are managing ok during these difficult times x

      Delete
  3. The plum clafoutis looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment