Cake and a cup of tea...

It's mid May already!

It's a cliché I know, but where does the time go!

Today is an important day here in England, as we reach another stage in the gradual lifting of the coronavirus restrictions ... and tomorrow, I have my second vaccination. Slowly, slowly, normality beckons.

It's been a long, cold Spring here. So many overnight frosts and very little growing in the garden or on the allotment ... save for the rhubarb, which come what may, pushes buds through the cold earth and slowly unfurls its umbrella like leaves.


I decided to make cake; rhubarb crumble cake. An adaptation of a Delia recipe for Blueberry Muffin Cake from her Summer Collection book.

Here is the original recipe.


I followed the recipe for the cake, except for substituting rhubarb for the blueberries but altered the topping as follows:

75g demerara sugar
75g self raising flour
25g butter
1 level tsp cinnamon
50g chopped hazelnuts
1 tbsp cold water

Rub the butter into the flour and cinnamon, until crumbly, then stir in the sugar and nuts. Add the water  and stir until the mixture clumps together loosely.
Sprinkle over the cake and bake at 190c for 1 hour 15 minutes until it feels springy in the centre.
A few flaked almonds on top when the cake is cooked makes a nice addition.
Delicious with cream!


Hoping all is well where you are.
Here's to cake and a cup of tea!


Speak soon.

Annie
x



Comments

  1. I do love rhubarb, those first harvests of the season are always really special. The cake looks delicious, I bet the tangy rhubarb flavour is brilliant. I put my runner beans in too early this year and they are looking dreadful. May have to start again, which is a shame because I had the lovely salmon-pink flowered variety (Celebration) this year and I was looking forward to them. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, such a shame about your beans CJ. I've done that on many an occasion ( always so eager to see things get growing!) and it has been so cold this year. Hopefully they will survive.x

      Delete

Post a Comment