autumn harvests



It's that time of year again for gathering in the last of the harvests from the garden and allotment.
Older daughter has several fruit trees at the bottom of the garden, so, a few days ago, we spent a little while collecting baskets of apples. 



The trees were inherited from the previous owners and the labels lost over time ...so they are variety unknown.


I cooked most of them in a large pan, with a little honey and a sprinkling of cinnamon, to be spooned into a jar and kept in the fridge and some to be tucked away in the freezer. Delicious spooned over yoghurt or morning porridge.

And on the allotment, I dug up the last of the beetroot...



and made soup.


This is a favourite recipe, perfect for these chillier autumn days.




Apologies for the very long absence here, but I have been working on a very exciting project for the last 14 months ...all will be revealed soon!


Hoping all is well.

Speak soon 

Annie


Comments

  1. I'm a big fan of beetroot soup (I use a Rose Eliot recipe from the 80s) and will certainly give the harissa paste a try. Apples and cinnamon go so well with porridge, don't they? Looking forward to reading about your project (I'm now trying to guess what it might be!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Previous 'unknown' commenter was me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beetroot is such a versatile veg isn't it! Just a little warning - the quantity of harissa in this recipe gives quite a spice hit - at the top of my spiciness limit! You may want to reduce the amount if you prefer a milder flavour.
      And sorry to be a tease about the project!!

      Delete
  3. Fabulous photos as ever. That beetroot! My eldest absolutely loved stewed apple, windfall season is perfect for him. I am looking forward to hearing about your exciting project. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ. The soup is a very vibrant colour! I think it's the combination of the beetroot and harissa paste.
      Stewed apple is one of life's simple pleasures I always think. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment