January 2022

 I hope I'm not too late to wish you a happy new year. There's still a couple of days of January left, so I reckon I'm ok! 
  I don't usually make new year's resolutions, but this year, in an effort to cut down on food waste, I determined to make more use of leftovers; little bits and bobs that, if I'm not careful, get pushed to the back of the fridge and forgotten about.

So first up, were some cranberries leftover from Christmas, which were languishing in the freezer.
I added them to a red cabbage slaw; one of my favourite winter salads.


1/2 red cabbage

1 small eating apple

a handful of dried cranberries or raisins

a few fresh cranberries (optional)

3 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp balsamic vinegar

1/2 tsp mustard

1 tsp brown sugar

salt and pepper

Finely grate the cabbage and apple. Add the dried cranberries or raisins.

Make a dressing with the oil, vinegar, mustard and sugar. Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Stir through the red cabbage mixture and add the fresh cranberries if using.


I also had some leftover anchovies in the fridge, so I made anchovy butter - basically softened butter whizzed in a blender with the anchovies, juice of a lemon and lots of parsley. Season with black pepper, but no salt as the anchovies tend to be very salty. 

 I know anchovies are not to everyone's taste, but I love them and I find flavoured butters in general are so useful for using up odd bits from the fridge and I they are delicious melted over veggies, fish etc. 





A little rummage through the fridge earlier revealed half a tin of tomatoes in a little bowl.

Now what can I do with those?!


Sending best wishes from the Fens ... and next time we speak, I will have exciting news of a project I have been working on.

Annie

x




Comments