saved from the brink of disaster
A Saturday morning,
more marrows from the allotment waiting to be used ..
.. so I decided to make marrow and ginger jam.
After a search on the internet and I found a recipe that looked good.
It used equal quantities of marrow and sugar, 2 lemons and some ginger.
|ready to go|
I cooked the marrow as instructed and lightly mashed it before adding the sugar, lemon juice and ginger.
But this is where I think I may have gone wrong.
The recipe was vague about what type of ginger, so I decided to use stem ginger ( the sort that comes in a jar in syrup) which I chopped very finely.
Having dissolved the sugar, I brought the mixture to a boil, but after barely 5 minutes and before I was ready to test for a set, I realised the jam was burning badly on the bottom of the pan.
I know jam is liable to burn, but I have never known it to burn so quickly and so spectacularly!
In retrospect, I think I should have used fresh root ginger, as I think it was the sugary stem ginger which sunk to the bottom and burned.
I removed the pan from the heat straight away and salvaged what I could.
My jam would not win any prizes, as it is very softly set and with a slight caramel flavour!