Winter days...


December 1st and we've already had some frosty, misty mornings here in the Fens.
I love these mornings, when everything is shrouded in a white cloak and the otherwise mundane is transformed into something mysterious.



The beauty of the Fens does not lie in rugged mountains or rolling hills, but in space and solitude; in naked trees silhouetted against the horizon or the merging of sky and land into one great expanse.




These are qualities I've come to appreciate in this adopted homeland of mine.



December 1st also means, that chez Fenland Lottie, it is time to start thinking about Christmas,
starting with a few twinkly lights and candles and the making of The Cake.

This year, I'm back to my favourite recipe, which also happens to be the easiest Christmas cake recipe ever!
Here is the recipe, in case you are interested.


How about you?
How are your Christmas preparations going?

All well, I hope.


Speak soon.

Annie

x



Comments

  1. Fabulous photos, Annie. I've just finished reading Waterlands by Graham Swift - our book group choice - and have been looking today at maps of the Fens, so these images were perfectly timed. Thank you.

    As for Christmas... Erm... Bought the ingredients for the Christmas pudding. I'd be happy skipping the rest of the paraphernalia to be honest as long as there was pudding every day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great book Colleen. I'm going to see if the local library has a copy. Mmm! Christmas pudding - delicious.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photos, misty and mysterious. I have done well this year and have finished all my preparations. I did start early as we are going away to visit family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos! We've not had much frost here yet and today feels far too warm. I have baked a couple of Christmas cakes today though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather is very changeable isn't it! One day frosty, the next damp and mild.

      Delete
  4. Ooh, love those pictures. No frost here, just lots of sog. Hope the cake turned out well. I've made one, using my dad's recipe, and a pudding. Mince pies next.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment