Apple season ...

Hello there! 
I realised the other day that it is nearly a month since my last post - how did that happen?
It certainly seems true that the older you get the quicker time flies by.
In a blink of an eye, summer is nearly gone and autumn is here.
It's been a turbulent summer on the political front and also in terms of the weather; record breaking heatwaves and torrential rain and flooding in parts.
I was reminded the other day of the fragility of our environment, when I listened to The Lost Words Prom on the radio. Based on the book The Lost Words by Robert Macfarlane, the performance is an evocative blend of music and the spoken word. 
It's well worth a listen and, I think, still available on iplayer for a few days, if you are interested.

The end of summer and the beginning of autumn marks the start of the English apple season and these little Rosette apples are from the tree on our allotment.



They are very similar in taste to Discovery apples and perfect for just munching on,
but I also used a couple of them to make this apple cake by Rick Stein.
The recipe can be found by googling German Apple Cake: Rick Stein



A lovely sponge cake with a nice apple and cinnamon topping, best served warm with a dollop of creme fraiche.


Speak soon

Annie

x
















Comments

  1. It looks delicious. Funnily enough I was just thinking about apple cake this morning. Lots of windfalls here, so I shall look the recipe up. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment