of strawberries and summer salads....




There's always great excitement when the first strawberries ripen on the allotment and right on cue, here is the first bowlful, carefully carried home the other day.





The weather this spring has been perfect for strawberries - weeks of above average temperatures and lots of sunshine, (though virtually no rain).
Compare with this time last year when heavy rainfall meant the strawberries were either munched by slugs or went mouldy before they could ripen.
After the lottie overhaul earlier in the year when we removed several of the raised beds, these berries were grown in large pots, well out of the way of hungry slugs.


The unusually warm spring weather has certainly helped lift the spirits during this period of lockdown.
Pottering in the garden or on the allotment has been a very welcome distraction from the distressing news.


Along with the strawberries, radish are amongst the first veggies to be ready.  They are the sprinters of the veg patch. Just a few short weeks from sowing and they are ready eat.



I've sown two varieties this year, Sparkler and Diana, the latter, a radish with a more purple hue.

Whilst searching for new ideas for summer lunches, I found a recipe in an old Waitrose food magazine for a salad with radish, cucumber and red chicory in a mustardy dressing.
It was crisp and refreshing, but the red chicory, though very pretty, was too bitter and overpowering for my taste.
 If I make it again, I will use less chicory.




I'm off down to the allotment later to do a bit of watering and hopefully pick a few more strawberries.

Hoping all is well in your corner of the world.

Speak soon

Annie

x





Comments

  1. I’ve never had much luck with strawberries... the wildlife seem to get to them before I do but radish were the first veg I ever grew!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strawberries can be a bit of a battle - woman v wildlife! But radish are super quick and easy!

      Delete
  2. British strawberries are the best, aren't they? Yours look delicious. Haven't sown radishes but a row of coriander hasn't germinated, so you've inspired me to replace with radishes instead. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. British strawberries mean summer is here! Good idea to fill in with radish. They should be up in no time!

      Delete
  3. Radishes are wonderful aren't they. I'm growing a really hot German variety this year. Can't remember the name, it's really long! I think the Germans eat them with beer. No strawbs here yet, I've got a late variety, so they're only just starting to flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Radish with beer ....now there's a thought!

      Delete
  4. Your strawberries look luscious. I've managed to keep the wildlife away from our small patch but despite the sunshine they don't taste as good as I had hoped. I was wondering whether I'd overwatered them! At least the blasted pigeons didn't get to them first. Ah me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been so dry hasn't it! We had to cover ours with a fine netting to keep the birds - mainly blackbirds I think- from munching them

      Delete

Post a Comment