November


Here we are in a new month and in a bid to take my mind off the new lockdown restrictions, I have been baking again.

First up....here is my pumpkin loaf. 

I was inspired by all the photos of pumpkin shaped loaves on the internet and decided to have a go. It was much easier than I had anticipated and involved lengths of string and a few knots, rather like tying up a parcel.

And this is the result!

Though I say so myself, I was very pleased with my attempt! 




I have also bought all the ingredients for making a Christmas cake, though at this rate, it might just be the two of us eating it this year.

I was slightly alarmed to find some of the shelves of flour looking very sparse in my local supermarket and do hope that panic buying and shortages are not going to be a thing again.

BUT.....in much happier news, mr digandweed and I are very proud grandparents again to another beautiful little granddaughter. 

She was born last Thursday, in the middle of the night, about a week before her due date, in a planned home birth.

We are all completely in love and very excited, as is her big sister, whose 6th birthday she missed by a whisker (3 days to be precise!)

Mother and baby are both doing well. And the new mummy put in a request for some date crunchies, a treat to help her through the night-time feeds. So how could I refuse!

Date crunchies were one of my mum's specialities. Rumour had it she could whip up a batch in about 10 minutes if unexpected guests were about to arrive! And they were a feature throughout my childhood and that of our two daughters.




I know this is a recipe lots of people already have, but just in case, here is my recipe should you want to make some also.

I would add that this recipe gives a very generous date filling, so feel free to reduce the quantity of dates if you wish.

 




Hoping you are keeping safe and well in your corner of the world.
Speak soon.

Annie
x



Comments

  1. Aah, date crunchies! They bring back lovely memories of our dear Mum, my teenage years & visits by my boyfriend (now husband) who enjoyed many a warm date crunchie more or less straight from the oven!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes 😊 Always a favourite weren’t they! And now the girls love them too xx

      Delete
  2. PS: lovely looking loaf too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that pumpkin! Know what you mean about the Christmas cake. The bulk of mine always heads Manchester way but this year, who knows? My mum was partial to a date slice (her favourite cake was date and walnut), similar to your crunchies but without the oats. Congratulations to you all on the new arrival. Can't quite believe Big Sister is now 6!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz. Really not sure what Christmas will look like this year :(
      And yes, Big Sister is 6 - doesn't time fly!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations, that's wonderful news, and how lovely for your other granddaughter to be a big sister, no doubt she will love helping to look after the new little one. I'm sure my mother used to make date crunchies as well, wonderful. I am writing down the recipe. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you CJ. Big Sister is thrilled with her new baby sister...... and I hope you enjoy the date crunchies

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on the new granddaughter, that is wonderful news. I used to love date crunchies , I think we used to call them a date slice, but I haven’t had one in ages. I have made a note of your recipe. That pumpkin loaf is very impressive!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment