Green


Since my last post, we have had one of the wettest Junes on record. Compare this with June last year and it seems clear that the weather in Britain is becoming more extreme.
Fortunately, we managed to avoid most of the rain for our trip to the Peak District and the Chatsworth Flower show. But, unfortunately, as is the way with technology, the memory card in my camera suddenly gave up the ghost, meaning I lost all the photos I had taken!
So you will have to take my word for it, when I say that the flower show was beautiful, inspiring and set in the most spectacular surroundings.

Meanwhile, back home and everything on the lottie is looking green and lush.
We have the first of the gooseberries, which seem particularly big this year - maybe all that rain!



And peas; a variety called Meteor, which are doing well and producing some lovely fat pods.




I baked the gooseberries in a dish in the oven with a dash of water. I find they hold their shape better in the oven rather than cooked in a pan on the hob.  A tablespoon or two of elderflower cordial stirred in when they are soft makes a delicious addition. The gooseberries can then be used to top yoghurt or mixed with whipped cream to make a simple gooseberry fool.


As for the peas, I supplemented them with some frozen peas and made this delicious soup.



A great recipe from River Cottage, full of green goodness from the peas and the parsley and which is also quick and easy to make.

It was the summer solstice yesterday, so we are keeping our fingers crossed for some lovely summer weather!


Speak soon

Annie

x





Comments

  1. I am presuming as you have not mentioned it that you have been safe from the flooding which is rife in your area. Wainfleet particularly has been headline news here. The gooseberries and peas look amazing. Hoping like you that we will start getting some Summer weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No flooding here thankfully. Ironically, I sometimes think the Fens are less prone to flooding due to all the dykes and pumping stations. So awful for the people of Wainfleet though. Hopefully the sun will come out soon. x

      Delete
  2. Such a shame about all of your photos, but I'm glad you enjoyed the show. I love the idea of adding elderflower cordial to gooseberries, no doubt it's delicious. All incredibly green here too, I can't stop gazing out the window at it all. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog from C J’s blog. Love the photos, haven’t had gooseberries for yours. A delicious thought. I’ll be back to read more about a beautiful part of the country. B x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and lovely to meet you. I hope you enjoy your 'visit' to the Fens!

      Delete

Post a Comment