Sunday, 7 April 2013

bread

 
 
I love making bread, as you will find out if you read this.

I also love sourdough and have tried different approaches and recipes, but sad to say, it has been an on/off romance! Sometimes, my attempts produced a nicely risen loaf with satisfying chewiness, but other times, for no apparent reason, the starter turned from  sweet smelling yeastiness to downright unpleasantness overnight.

But time, I thought, to start anew and this recipe from Raymond Blanc seemed like a good 'not quite sourdough' compromise. Singing-girl, home for Easter, was keen to have a go too.

The dough starter didn't look too promising.


Neither did the next stage.


But singing-girl set to work kneading and had soon produced a lovely looking dough - all soft springiness, like a plumped up duvet.





We were both pleased with the finished loaf.

 
 


It has a nice chewiness and a good depth of flavour, due to the rye flour.

The recipe makes 4 good sized loaves - too much for mr digandweed and myself. Singing-girl is taking a loaf back and I hope the rest freezes well!





7 comments:

  1. Golly, that looks good! I've never tried making sourdough, all that feeding and fussing put me off. Seeing your loaf makes me want to give your version a try. It looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm going to watch Paul Hollywood tomorrow night as that is all about sourdough I think.

      Delete
  2. Now that looks pretty good to me. Fortunately my husband made a malted grain loaf upon request this morning, so I can't be too envious of you apart from the fact that I only have a little cheddar to have with mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks good! I love baking but my bread's pretty awful so I'm always admiring of those who can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bit of an on/off relationship with sourdough too. In fact I have a starter that has been sitting in my fridge for weeks. Perhaps I should take it out and try feeding it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've yet to attempt sourdough but your loaf looks so good, I'm really tempted to have a go. (Commenting here whilst I wait for a Paul Hollywood white cob dough to prove!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. This loaf was not quite a sourdough, but after watching latest Paul Hollywood program, think I am going to have a go at the real thing!

      Delete